Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Weariness

I am tired in my bones. I don't know if I am cut out for the life of a graduate student for one reason: evening shift. For all intents and purposes, I have a second shift job right now. My classes are all at night, my tutoring shifts are at night. Each day I work different hours...it's exhausting. I know, cry me a river. But it's my forum and I'm tired. Why are graduate classes at night? Why can't I be in bed by 9pm instead of just finishing up a tutoring session and having to wait for a bus? What will happen to me when I start having rugby practice in the evenings? Then I won't have one single evening where I am home before 9pm. Ever. I guess I should think back to Malcolm Gladwell and start conditioning myself that evening is ok. Just roll with it. But when will I cook with butter and Julia Child if I'm learning and doing things all night long?? All I want to do right now is eat chocolate chips and watch Sopranos reruns.

5 comments:

Em said...

I understand. For me, if something doesn't get done in the morning, it probably won't even be attempted again until the following morning. It's just the way my body clock is and when I'm most able to concentrate vs. when I feel like falling asleep. I've been this way my whole life. Go out on a Friday night? But it's past my bedtime! Homework on a Sunday night? Pfffft, that's what 5 AM Monday morning is for.

Anonymous said...

oh katy.
this makes me worry a little about grad school.

Jordan Lev said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jordan Lev said...

Not sure what it has to do with anything, but this article about "The Great Zucchini" is really good (although somewhat long), and reminded me of Uncle Corey:

http://tinyurl.com/a4v7n

Corey said...

Awesome article, but what about that reminded you of me? Was it the throwing up on the craps table?