Thursday, January 19, 2006

Blink

I wanted to spend the next several hours fuming about administrative crap I'm dealing with at school. But you know what? That doesn't do me any good. I've already located a proactive solution to my problem, and dwelling and fuming about it will not make me feel better, nor will it help me sleep.

I just finished reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. That book is so amazing. I had no idea how powerful our subconscious could be. Gladwell's message through the book is that we need to be aware of the power of this subconscious ability to make snap decisions and then use this awareness to change the way we act and live. For example, if I hang a sign above my desk encouraging me to think positive thoughts and react with calm, I am priming my self conscious to do so. When I am faced with a potential administrative disaster through the University, I can then think positive thoughts and react with calm.

Several months ago, I hung three goals on my refridgerator. Rather than dwell on negative thoughts, rather than fester the stress and insomnia, I shall instead focus on positive, proactive measures to meet my goals. I WILL teach creative writing in some capacity this summer. I WILL get accepted to a writing residency program and I WILL secure funding for the 2006/7 school year.

In the meantime, I have started The Tipping Point, also by Gladwell, to see if he reveals any other lifestyle-changing suggestions.

No comments: