Friday, January 23, 2009

Burpees

For the past 3 weeks, I've been doing the 100 Burpee challenge. This means that on day one, you do one burpee, day 2, 2, all the way up to 100 burpees. I didn't even really want to participate, but the whole Crossfit program is doing it so I finally became really interested. What if I really got to a point where I could do 100 of them??

Today is day 19 for me, only I have to do 19+20+21 since I'm going away this weekend to a pretty un-burpee-conducive place. I don't know if it's because burpees are hard or because I'm pregnant, but I am really struggling this morning. I'm trying to do 10 every half hour as a break from work, and it takes me forever to catch my breath afterward.

I take some solace in knowing I'm not alone. There's a whole blog set up about the burpee challenge and lots of ruggers are doing them around the country. I even convinced my friend Kelly E to burpee along with me! But I'm not going to lie. This is hard. And cumbersome.

There's just something about having set this goal, though. Eventually I'm going to be dedicating over a half hour of each day to burpee-ing, and that's great! I'll have this huge baby bump and have to shift the pushups to planks, but I'll still be trying.

I think this is the hardest physical goal I've ever set for myself. Corey and I had talked about doing a biathalon this summer, before we knew I was pregnant. Since I can no longer do that, I'm glad I have something to work toward as he begins training in earnest for the marathon. On to burpees 21-30!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh jesus I thought you meant like a burping contest, but that dude on the video is doing crazy pushups --WTF?! My stomach muscles ache just thinking about it...

-Jordan