Monday, September 03, 2007

Weddings and Bicycles

My wedding performance did not go too terribly. I got to hear a snippet of a video my uncle took and I didn't sound like a cat in heat. Also my dad told me, "Hey Katy! You didn't even mess up too bad. I was listening for you to go flat!" So there you go.

I was pretty pleased until I saw some photos and discovered that not only did I squeeze my entire face into a contorted wrinkle, but I was also sitting with my legs spread apart. In a dress. Thankfully, my upper thigh "muscles" hid any possible view of my lady parts.

After the wedding, Corey and I rode our bicycles on two interesting trails. The first was a reconstructed rail trail called the Perkiomen Trail near the farm where we got married. There were many other riders and great lumps of horse dung along this tranquil little piece of gravel that winds all the way to Philadelphia.

Today, we rode the PA Turnbike, which is a 13-mile stretch of abandoned Pennsylvania turnpike. Originally, the road tunneled through two mountains, but went down to one lane in either direction upon reaching the two mile-long tunnels. This was decided to be inefficient and the government re-routed 76 over the mountains. Now, the passage is an interstate with no cars. Just bikes! It's pretty rad riding into the massive highways tunnels, though we didn't have our lights on and I felt swallowed by darkness. I was being a big baby and got off and walked the bike. You could see the light at the other end, but I kept fearing bats or snakes or homeless murderers. Also, it was cold in there. Corey, of course, pedaled on fearlessly and was riding circles around me as usual.

Altogether, the rides were only slightly more painful than playing the violin for a few hours in a row Friday and Saturday, which raised some blisters and calluses on my fingers. I feel like I could use a good backrub and a nice book on PA highway history to chillax for the rest of the extended weekend.

No comments: