Friday, January 12, 2007

Housekeeping

We have a mirror right inside our door with lovely hooks beneath it. The idea behind the mirror is that Corey can hang things from it and contain his door-entry stripping of things to the "foyer" of the apartment. Ordinarily, he enters the door and removes things as he walks, leaving piles and trails like snake skin throughout the house. Tires, sneakers, pants, helmets, keys, wallets, tiny scraps of paper with little notes on them like "don't put things on the mantel or Katy will yell."

When we hung the mirror, I could at least get the shirt, coat, and hat to not be on the floor or the sofa. Life was good.

About four days ago, maybe five, we were sitting around and I heard a booming, crashing, thudding sound. Neither of us was very excited to investigate. It was either the neighbors fighting again or the pots crashing to the floor from the mountain in the sink or something worse. So I forgot about it until we were on our way out for dinner.

The mirror had come crashing to the ground, frame ripped to bits and mirror interior sliding down to the floor. Luckily it didn't shatter, because this is what was dangling from our little mirror:
One Penn State Orange Bowl hat from 2006
One Corey windbreaker
One little tiny Katy sweater
One puffy gray fleece
And one enormously heavy winter jacket of Corey's with full pockets and many layers of heaviness

The mirror had a soft nest of down to cushion its fall.

Upon discovery of the pile, I felt really indifferent. I didn't care to clean it up and was sure Corey would take care of it. But he didn't! It's still sitting in exactly the same place and we've been climbing over the wreckage for four days. Last night I asked him why he didn't clean it up yet and he said
"That one's not mine to clean up. Why would it be mine?"
I lifted my eyebrows as high as they would go. "Why would it be MINE???"
He lifted his eyebrows as high as they would go, totally shocked that I could be so stupid, and said "Because you found it. Smelt it, dealt it, Katy."

7 comments:

PeaceLoveMath said...

Do you need a stud finder and some longer screws? Or perhaps some drywall anchors? You can get a stud finder for like $10, you should invest :o)

kk said...

Getting your man to do things and making him think that he should because you are his goddess is an art. It will come with time. Jack is now adding on and remoldeling the kitchen for me and all he wanted to do was retire:+) Did I mention that he gets up with the kids every morning and makes their lunches. Yes you too will be able to get your man to be your slave in time. Sex is always a good tool to use. Most men will do anything for it. Also tears are great, tears of the fallen mirror and wedding stress would be a good one right now. Another good one is when his parents come to visit ask his dad to help and explain to him why the man you love will not hang the mirror you got to help him with his organizational skills. I always use to say. "OK I call my dad." Jack hated that one. maybe I'll make you a book, How to Get your man to worship you without him knowing it.":+)

ninny said...

i think you've found your stud -
i say suck it up and pick up the stuff! we'll look for bigger hooks and something else for corey to 'pile' into....

Chris Mayhew said...

You could use that stud finder and just ditch Corey. That's the way I'd go.

Anonymous said...

I heart Corey... that was great..

PeaceLoveMath said...

the double entendre did occurr to me when i posted that comment, but i was actually talking about the wooden beams behind your drywall...not hot guys! hehehe.

Soupie said...

Mayhew beat me to it. So i will continue with a second reply.


This is a mirror, Not a fart.