Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Back in the Shell

I start rowing this week. I'm very excited. I realized I say that about everything I do. I guess I'm just easily excitable. I think, though, there is a new level of anticipation when it's something sports related. In the recent cases of boxing and rowing, I feel excited for strange reasons. First, these new sports are really challenging and fun. They make me realize that when people are not "roped in" year-round to a sport like rugby, they have time to try new activities like this every season and are constantly stepping outside their comfort zones. Hopefully people take advantage of this, because it's fun.

Second, for completely vain and narcissistic reasons, I am excited that these new activities will chisel my arm muscles into highly defined wonders of the universe. I could be geeky and pretend to get excited by the strength behind the new muscle machines, but in real life I want to look like a Soloflex model in my wedding dress. Some brides diet. I row boats and punch bags.

I'm also pretty excited about the cardiovascular and speed benefits my new cross training loves will provide. This fall I was all over the rugby field after my rowing session and hopefully I can start out the spring season with the same new burst. I already have Raleigh on my mind, and in order to beat them we are going to have to out-pace teams like Albany again this year to even get a shot. When Brian decides to murder us with fitness workouts at practice, maybe I won't die as quickly this year. Here's to the 6 seat!

2 comments:

Jane said...

OMG. I feel as if all my waning enthusiasm and physical activity are turning up elsewhere in the universe--with you! Stock up plenty of it to send back my way starting in April, please!

kk said...

You will look like a princess in your wedding dress no matter what:+)