Friday, February 15, 2008

Haikus

I love Haikus. I'm pretty good at them, I feel like, and I write them sometimes for my father-in-law for his birthday and often in the shower. You might imagine how excited I was to learn that the half-time show of last night's grad student reading was a Haiku contest. We nerds were called upon to write Valentine's Haikus on the spot and mine stunk:

A chocolate cupcake
Awaits me this Valentine's--
My first as a wife

Note that I chose to use chocolate as a 2-syllable word this time. Note also how horribly confusing the Haiku is. Is the cupcake my first as a wife? The Valentine? Note additionally that the whole thing is sappy and gross. It's just so terrible. I'm ashamed. I lost the contest and did not win a free beer. I'd like to think I lost because I was so burnt out from preparing my 2.5 hour presentation, presented moments before.

The winner of the contest was my presentation partner. His Haiku was something like this:

You're king of the world!
My heart will always go on.
How's the water, hon?

The second place one went something like this:
F*@k Valentine's Day
Tomorrow the candy is
half off at Rite-Aid

I'm not sure who wrote that one, but he or she was probably a wonderfully witty writer with improvisational skills far surpassing my own.

7 comments:

Emily said...

hahahahahaha
i love them all

P said...

National Geographic has a feature on a haiku master this month, if you can find a copy. |=)

Valtastic said...

Check out this: http://www.threadless.com/product/623/Haikus_are_easy_but

In case the link doesn't work:
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigirator

Yes that's my sisters new BF...

PeaceLoveMath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PeaceLoveMath said...

My personal favorite is limericks:
The syllables aren't quite so rigid. It
takes me more time
to think of the rhymes,
So on-the-spot writing is quite a trick!

JL said...

thank you for sharing your haiku, even though you dislike it. that is brave. :)

happy belated vd-day!

Adri said...

Sarah Harris all the way.
She's really into candy from Rite-Aid. :)

Vote for her: http://www.amazon.com/Stars-Here-Are-Mostly-Planes/dp/B0012658BW/ref=sr_1_345?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203193841&sr=1-345