Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Duffield

I woke up this morning to someone pounding on my door, followed by the slamming screen door. I grew immediately afraid because Corey is away snowboarding in Utah and I am home alone. A helpless damsel, if you will. I decided to stay in bed a moment longer.

But the knocking inspired me to get up early and shovel my walks, because that's what you do on Duffield if it snows. And it snowed four inches today. I shoveled and salted. Then I went to work.

When I came home from work, the whole street was out shoveling and salting. I chatted with Cookie and Josie. I asked the neighbor dude how his house was selling. It was all the sort of small talk that seems fake and annoying when you see it on tv, but is actually very fun and interesting when you mean it in real life. I actually care what brand of salt my neighbors use on the walks. I totally got interested in different parking strategies to accommodate the snowplow.

I like Duffield Street in winter time. It's a friendly place where no one slips or falls down.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Did anyone else have someone pounding on the door?

Katy said...

well, garrett and jack suggested it was probably a neighborhood kid (home from school) looking to shovel my walk for me. heck, i only have 20 feet of walk to shovel! it takes five minutes and i'd miss out on all that socializing if i paid someone to do it.

Jane said...

Yeah...In 1983 we got two feet of snow on Valentine's weekend. I was heavily pregnant and did not do any shoveling, but the socializing up and down the street was great! It was my favorite snow storm.

PeaceLoveMath said...

you were pregnant with ME! :-D

Anonymous said...

did you wovel