Sunday, December 17, 2006

Lobsters Are Delicious

After my friends Diana and K-bod documented their lobster feast on Facebook, I decided I needed to steam and consume lobsters. I decided that Jennylui's visit to Pittsburgh would be an ideal time to steam lobster with other Penn State rugby people. I went to the market and purchased two little critters, who proceeded to LOOK at me in the kitchen while I waited for Kelly E and Tricia and Jennylui to show up.

Kelly said she would happily plunge the lobsters into the pot of water (head first, as the Joy of Cooking suggests) so I hid my face and she dropped them in. Only then, Jenny freaked out because we hadn't killed them humanely so she extracted the crustaceans from the boiling water and stabbed them in the brain with a butcher knife before sticking them back in the pot. At this point I was beside myself and shrieking like a baby while Tricia took photos and Kelly just giggled. At least we didn't have to listen to them scream.

It was very interesting to sit down to dinner at a table set with butcher knives, hammers, mallets, meat forks, and melted butter atop a cloth of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Friday edition).

I think I decided that the meal, while delicious, was more work than it was worth. The killing of the lobsters was far too traumatic for my weak stomach. I wonder if this makes me some sort of hypocrite? Should I force myself into vegetarianism because of my inability to kill my own food? As KK's son James reminded me, 15-year-old boys are more than willing to trek into the woods and shoot food for me. Maybe Jennylui and James would move in with me and just take care of that for me. I don't know what to do, but those lobsters sure were good.

7 comments:

Soupie said...

The taste in your mouth is the corpse on your breath.
Conscience of a Cannibal! at the Cost of an ANIMAL!!!

well...you guys know how I feel...


hahahah

Eating with mallets is good.

P said...

For you: http://www.secretlifeoflobsters.com/blog/blog.asp

Do a search on the page and there's a post on the best way to humanely kill lobsters.

Oh yeah, and did I mention I found a boxed set original of Julia Child's books at a fire sale? Score! Although I am still working through Alton's books so I haven't actually used them yet.

P said...

This is Hancheck, btw. Sabato's blog logs me in as her whenever I load the page. I should let her know about that...

kk said...

Yes James is more then willing gut a deer, clean a fish, or even boil your lobster for you. He was put on this earth to provide food for others. I also love eating creatures with shells, and yes they are alot of work but there is nothing better then cracking crabs for hours and drinking cold beer while doing it. I like you can not look at the crabs before cooking the only time I look at them is when they are on the table ready to eat.

Anonymous said...

Dude- lobsters don't scream. It's the pressure changes from the boiling water that you hear.

~Val

I heart Rank (Can I still call you rank when you become a Lev?)

Katy said...

i heart you, too, val. rugby people are always allowed to use my maiden name.

Emily said...

KRank, I'm by no means a vegetarian animal loving type, but I'm not sure I could boil a live lobster either...

EHancheck, I have no idea why Blogger has issues with you. Oddly enough, if I click on your name, it just errors rather than go to my profile.