Thursday, December 07, 2006

Icy Ramblings

I can't decide what thrills me more: the prospect of a three-day mini vacation from the football fellas or the Morris Rugby reunion that is the cause of my respite.

Either way, tomorrow instead of picking through garbage or learning fun pranking ideas I will be on an airplane headed to the Best Wedding Ever with my old teammates. I am taking a notebook and pencil to the reception to make note of things I like and do not like. I am very much anticipating the decor because the bride will be paying homage to UVA. I love people with team spirit. Corey is trying to object to the idea of walking into our reception to the Penn State fight song. He's crazy.

Today I had a lot of time to think about random thoughts as they popped into my head. My normally 15-minute ride on the 71A got stretched into a 1.5 hour death march due to the unsalted roads and home Steelers game. Had I not been wearing my Birkenstock clogs, I would have walked the 3 miles home and saved a half hour of torment. I just couldn't risk slipping and falling down or, worse, getting the suede wet in the snow puddles.

I just parked myself in the front of the bus, clinging to the pole through my mittens, and let my brain wander all around. Perhaps the most enjoyable images I thought up were of Student D and what he might have been eating this evening in the writing lab without me there to watch. I envision him sitting there with breadsticks and garlic butter, periodically munching sunflower seeds from his pocket.

What does it mean when I spend more free time daydreaming about my students than I spend working on my manuscript? It means I am in serious need of a rugby party.

2 comments:

Soupie said...

My cousins had an agreement with their father that the Notre Dame fight song would not be played at their wedding.

Needless to say, it came on after the electric slide....

Anonymous said...

Any thing is better than the Price is Right theme song.. it happened at my cousins wedding and the bride was soo upset about it.. apparently they were supposed to play something else. I thought it was funny. Another wedding I went to they were introduced to the "White Trash Wedding"... good times... see you tonight or tomorro!

~Val