Tuesday, June 26, 2007

New Team Headquarters

We did it. We bought a house. All of it! It was a very strange experience in many ways. For starters, the sellers spent a great deal of time at the closing bragging about their inbred relatives. "My great grand parents were first cousins!" said the lady, launching into a long story of feuds and secrets.. Corey and I just looked at one another and tried to melt into the floor.

While all this was going on, our realtor was shoving heaps of papers onto the floor. Another realtor had made Corey-piles on the closing table. She was just sweeping armfuls of crap off the glass surface. It was like my dream. I was too jealous to concentrate.

When it was all over, everything was very anticlimactic because Corey had to go to class and we couldn't exactly move anything in to our home and enjoy it. I put some wedding gifts in some cupboards. Nobody carried me over the threshold. I basically stood in the living room dripping sweat and watching the sun set against the tall apartment building by Highland Park.

This morning, motivated, I got up at started driving carloads of stuff to put in my new closets. I met Valerie, my German neighbor who greeted me by saying "You look German!" and ended the conversation by declaring "You look like a strong German girl. You'll have good babies."

It's so unfair that I have to work today instead of measuring my windows or purchasing a washer/dryer set. I am very distracted by the need to fill my new home with my stuff. In just under three weeks, I will be fully installed in my new headquarters. A spouse, a homeowner, and a graduate student all in one year. I suspect I may indeed be a grown-up on paper.

3 comments:

freya said...

I've ALWAYS thought you would have good babies.

congrats, m'dear!

PeaceLoveMath said...

I think your neighbor sounds great. I have never yet met a German woman that I didn't like. I can't believe you own a home! That is so awesome!! Have fun moving things and getting all settled in.

Emily said...

This is ridiculously exciting. I cannot wait for photos.