Thursday, June 28, 2007

Headquarters: The Before Shots

This is our basement/bathroom. We aren't really going to do any work in here other than fill it with things. This is where bicycles and Christmas decorations will live happily with excess paper towels and laundry detergent. (Once we purchase a washer and dryer)

This is our contractor, GW, assessing the hardwood floors. "Hmmmmm," says GW. "These look pretty good!" He'll be spending the next segment of his life fixing our home because he's nice to us. He's wearing overalls and a red hat, like Mario.

This is my office, cleverly painted in latex paint, and crappily. I will be spending many disgusting hours with a razor blade peeling 704 cubic feet of poorly applied latex paint from the walls before I can paint the room Pecan Sandie with Wood Cabin trim.
It's cool to peel my office, though, because Allie says she likes to peel things and will peel the whole room! Okay!


Here's the hardwood under the upstairs hallway carpet. Looks to be in pretty nice shape! I feel excited about that. Why would anyone cover this beautiful wood with maroon carpet?

This pretty pink room has darker hard wood floors. As you can see in the corner, the wood is kind of stained. GW can fix it. This will be his bedroom/the reading room and one wall will be Pumpkin. The pink curtains are gone already.
Here's the living room! That big old mirror will be gone and this whole room will be Asparagus. It's hard to tell right now, but the stained glass windows have some lovely greens in there that will look so great with the Asparagus paint. The lacy curtains and the maroon carpet will be gone, gone, gone before this weekend. I'm thinking Ikea has a great area rug just for me somewhere.

Here's the dining room. More maroon carpet, gone! This room has some really lovely stained glass windows. I'm painting it a shade of undetermined blue to bring out the purples and blues in the stained glass.

The kitchen is awesome. Just awesome. No maroon in there at all and there is ample cabinet space for all my cooking needs. There is another whole wall of cabinets to my left, which you cannot see in this shot. AND! we have a side-by-side refrigerator with an ice cube maker and a water dispense. Corey will never, ever again put empty ice cube trays back in the freezer or leave the water pitcher compeltely dry on the top shelf. Ever. Life is good.

Additionally, the pantry has roll out shelves. So when I put tomato paste in the way back of the top shelf, I just need to roll it front to reach it. A short girl's dream!

Here's the other half of the basement. The man space. Corey plans to hang bicycles from the wall down here and set up tool areas. The nook in the rear left will be my rugby space. Tonight, I will fill it with cleats and jerseys and balls and bags! Hurrah!

This is Corey's office. The owners left a rolly chair and a filing cabinet, which I think is cool. It looks sort of depressing at night in the lights, but it gets pretty much light during the day. It's like a cubicle, where Corey belongs. Bwahahaha

4 comments:

Emily said...

This is the most exciting blog post ever. I'm also super excited that you're matching your paint to the stained glass. I love stained glass and think it is super-awesome you found a house with a bunch of it! Also, refinishing those floors won't be too hard (Drs. Washburn and Dunne did thiers too). I don't know why anyone covers nice wood with ugly carpet.

Can you tell how pumped the concept of homeownership makes me?

:)

Valtastic said...

Why is your contractor living at your house?

I'm so excited for you. I want to see after shots. I can't wait to buy a house!

Anonymous said...

NICE!!

And I hope that more photos are to come! As you work on giving it the fabulous Katy touch!

Congratulations on your wedding and all of your new beginnings!!


<3, Trez :)

PeaceLoveMath said...

Wow wow wow. So awesome. If there is any painting left to do after I am married and have free time again, maybe I can come help...I just helped a co-worker paint her new condo (which is 1/8 the size and 2 times the price of your new house), so I am obviously now an expert painter. I am also obviously deeply jealous of your kitchen...I can't wait to see the house in person!!