Friday, June 22, 2007

Awesome 80s: A Tale of 2 Parties

Sophomore year of college, I convinced Corey to attend an 80s-themed rugby party with me. We squeezed him into a vintage soccer jersey by way of costume and trotted off down the blizardy street with my sister Betsy. Corey, as usual, stood motionless by the keg, silently enjoying the party in his own way, without conversations or dancing. Many hours later, Betsy was too drunk to walk in her little jean jacket and skirt and my pal Corey carried her over a mile to my dorm room. In the snow. He dumped her lifeless body on the couch and I just looked at him, this wonderful person who would carry my sister for me when I provided her teenaged self with illegal intoxicants. I decided I loved him. Even though we were just good friends. Even though I wasn't brave enough to tell him about my revelation for six months.

Six years later, I dragged him to another 80s party, at Belvedere's in Lawrenceville. This time, his friends were there and he was able to play competitive ping pong with several poets from my grad school. We rode bicycles and drank PBR from cans as the awful music blared over break dancers. And a strange thing happened. Corey enjoyed a party. He started to dance. First a little wiggle here and there. Then, full blown gyrations, head thrown back with laughter and jubilation! He even dared a PDA, my husband who gets uncomfortable holding hands. Corey!

I had to beg him to leave at two in the morning, when I was so sweaty and tired I couldn't hold my body upright. He was still laughing and joking with his friends when we headed up the ginormous hill on our bicycles. My heart filled with love when, yet again, he helped a Rank girl get home. Tipsy as he was, riding his fixed gear, Corey pushed me up that hill on my bike. One hand flat on my back as we both pedaled, he shoved me into Garfield at 230 in the morning.

I think 80s music brings out the best in Corey--the selfless acts of kindness and overflowing love for good friends. 80s music makes me love him and I will remain forever in debt to Michael Jackson's Thriller for showing me the best thing to ever come from New Jersey.

3 comments:

freya said...

that was such a great entry. so very touching, seriously. I like that story better than the red beard one. =)

Emily said...

oh, warm fuzzies. hehe.

:)

I love these stories.

Anonymous said...

That was a awsome night and to see corey dance... well that was monumental! We definately need to do that again sometime.

CHRIS
BH