Sunday, April 29, 2007

Outside!

Yesterday we lost horribly to Detroit. We traveled with only 14 players (the fifteenth dropped out inexplicably the day before) to play our toughest game of the season. I am very disappointed that the Angels. How is it that we have over 25 players in the fall when we are playing for nationals? I would like to not think people aren't committed unless they feel the game "matters." It's just so foreign to me to not think every game matters, to not come to practice regardless of weather and grumpiness levels.

This feeling of upsetedness is all complicated by my leaving the team halfway through the season because I'm going away for my wedding. Certainly everyone who missed yesterday had equally valid excuses; it's just frustrating.

So, while we were there along 8-mile (before we ate the best sausage in the entire world at the best social spread in history) there was rugby to play. And my team needed an outside center. SO they picked me to do it.

For eight years, I have played only in the forwards. Maybe a handful of games outside the tight five. But yesterday, I was a gazelle. In theory. I was so scared! And the flyhalf had to keep telling me where to go. But I looped our fullback! And got a stiffarm in the chest from their player of the match when I tried to tackle her. It was all very exciting, if unsettling and terrifying. I love stepping outside my comfort zone like that. I'll play wherever the team needs me to and do my best to run fast enough. I just hope we can get our act together for the fall when we are in the push for a national championship.

3 comments:

Emily said...

AWESOME!!

One of the flankers on my team (developmental) was recently moved to outside center....I think its terrific!

Blondie said...

Soon you will be like me and be available to play all positions on any given day, or different positions across the field in the same game.

Utility players rule. :)

Anonymous said...

Someday I hope to be an effective loosie. I fear that effective back play may be beyond my ability, however.