Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Fitted Sheets

I originally learned fitted sheet folding from watching Oprah. Martha was on once, years ago, and demonstrated. I'm not as good as Martha. Mine still get a little lumpy in the middle. But I can still make a square several ways. I cannot imagine writing directions out in words. I would have to make a video of myself folding. I'm not sure if I'm willing to do that. Lots at stake there!

This is a link of the day Martha taught me these things. Here is where Martha explains how on her website, only with no photographs. The quest to fold a fitted sheet into a perfect square is only something I attempt during finals week. Revise manuscript submissions? No thank you. I fold things. And only after I have done a purge of the household. I find the purging so cleansing. I throw things in the garbage can. Things like Corey's insurance bills and recent New Yorkers. I can't help it. They must all go if they aren't glued to the hardwood floors by a puddle of dried beer.

Finals week habits make for great conversation with a fellow crazy person. Hence my student and I discussing our manias. He wants to make the bed sheets so taught he can bounce a coin off them. I want to fold perfect squares. Though after hearing each other's goals, I think we are a bit curious to conquer all aspects of linens.

Perhaps I can start a fund to bring Martha to Pittsburgh and she can show us how to do all things cotton related.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too learned the fitted sheet folding from Oprah. And I still can't get it completely right. I feel like I need arms twice as long, or a giant folding table. It's no fun I tell you.

P said...

I followed the guy in the video, but still no dice. It looks like I rolled it into a ball on purpose. With my grandma's you can't even tell if they are fitted sheets or flat sheets. How does she DO that?!