Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Grown up at last

Corey and I had dinner with married people on Sunday. It was very strange for me. Like we were two committed couples just eating Thai food together on Easter. We talked about grownup things like dogs and houses and graduate school and then tried to do the most grown up social activity in the world: go grocery shopping. (We were thwarted by the Easter holiday, but I incorrectly assumed some stores in Squirrel Hill would be open to cater to Jewish folks like Corky and our married friends)

I think it made me feel nervous. Like I wanted to run away screaming about cooties or something. Does being married mean I have to act grown up and married around other married people? Is Corey still allowed to fool me into pulling his finger and am I still allowed to call him a doofus when he does?

Or, instead, does being both grown up and married mean that I can now choose things. Do I want to act silly or sophisticated? Should we leave the house together to do adult things or just sit at home in our underpants and drink milk straight from the carton? Maybe I can have the best of both worlds, pass uninhibited between negotiating mortgage rates and playing DDR in my 4th grade dance costume and nobody would mind at all.

3 comments:

PeaceLoveMath said...

i think definitely choice B, best of both worlds. that's what i'm planning on, at least!!

east side girl said...

You can have it both ways, or any way you want for that matter!

This engagement thing is an interesting process, no? Gets you thinking about so many things you never thought about before.

There is certainly no magical marriage threshold that you step across and become "grown up." There's no point in which you stop learning and become knowledgeable about adult things--but when you're married, you get to discuss adult things with Corey, then pull his finger at the end of the discussion if things are getting too heavy.

Fun stuff!

freya said...

believe me, nobody minds if you do both. JP and I have serious discussions about saving money for retirement that erupt into giggles when he calls me Sassy McSasserton for mocking him in some way. then I try to tickle him, then the cats jump on us, then they run away because we're wrestling on the furniture.
and when it's not cold in the apartment, we totally sit around and drink gin and tonics (oh, no, that sounds like a grown up drink!) or eat ben&jerry's out of the carton in underwear-sized clothing, if not actual underwear.