Thursday, April 05, 2007

Disappointed

Corey and I received a magic scale as a gift. It's this clear platform with foot pads that makes you fill out a tax return and then climb aboard and it reveals your weight, percentage of body fat, percentage of water, daily caloric intake, and metabolic age.

Last night I was stunned to discover that I have 30% body fat. I know I eat a lot of ice cream and cake, but I also work out a lot. I'm playing rugby and taking boxing lessons and most of the food I eat is really healthy. The scale suggested I should take in 2700 calories a day. But then it slapped me in the face and said "Bwahahahahahaha Mwahahahaha you are made of one third fat and your metabolic age is 30! THIRTY!!!!!" Then it beeped and shut off.

Corey's body fat is something like 10% and his metabolic age is like 12. And he eats at Qdoba every day! What is going on here?

Apart from the humor, I am very concerned that one out of every three parts of my body is fat. This is no good for my heart or longevity or rugby game. I think, somewhere, in the 2700 calories I can ingest in a day that I might find a way to eat more fiber and less Bryers. And step up my water drinking and do more squats. I have to move that fat into muscle!

Now that we have the nasty scale, I am obviously going to obsess and check eat day. So I'll have a celebration when the fat goes down to 25%.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Don't be shocked if your body fat swings (according to that scale) by 5-10%. I've tried them a few times, and have measured anywhere from 23-35% body fat while weighing about the same. Your level of hydration, among other things, effects it.

ps. where are you registered?

Anonymous said...

That's scale would be the death of me... did you have to take a loan out to afford it?

~Val

kk said...

While sitting at my computer eating a bag of robin eggs I thought I would look at your blog. Throw out the scale and eat some ice cream right now:+) I would rather you go back to stressing about your wedding music. Maybe you need to get back on the wrong bus and look for your senses, because I think you left them there. A Goddess needs no scale to tell her she is perfect.

P said...

Okay, you probably need to adjust the scale to account for your activity level. Does it have an "athlete" setting? Mine does. Without the athlete setting, I read around 30-31%. With it, I read around 24%. I was measured in high school at around 26% and I am roughly the same weight now, less active, but also eating much, much better. Thus, I conclude that the athlete setting gives me a more accurate result.

Look at what percentage water reading it is giving you. Your body is roughly 50% water. If the scale is reading anything below 50%, I would say that the bodyfat reading is useless. The lowest I have ever managed was around 52.5% and that was after being sick and obviously dehydrated.

In short, don't sweat it. And if you really want to track your bodyfat, exchange the scale for one that has an activity level setting.

Anonymous said...

I like the scale. - Mr. Deeds