Saturday, February 10, 2007

I feel good

I feel good about myself today. I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to make or buy or deal with wedding favors. What do people want with picture frames or baggies of chocolate or tulle flowers? Nothing, that's what.

So I decided I wanted to take whatever money I would have spent on favors and donate it to the PA Breast Cancer Coalition. I helped paint Allegheny County pink today! And I feel darn good about it. (I selected Allegheny County because that's where I live and it seemed to need more help than other counties. I want my county to be the pinkest one so we can win!)

Sometimes I was feeling so consumery and elitist and frou-frou during this whole wedding planning process. The fanciness of it all was making my armpits sweat at times and all the work to be done was certainly making my chin break out in zits. (You try getting Corey to participate in an administrative task and see how stress-free your life is!)

But when I made that donation, I felt good inside. I felt good about myself and the wedding. It's like now everyone is coming together to celebrate Core-man and Katy AND helping to find a cure for breast cancer.

I'm very pastoral and idealistic this morning. Weddings are beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's the best idea ever!
~Val

Jane said...

I love you, Katy and Corey.

PeaceLoveMath said...

such a great idea that i'm going to copy off of you.

Emily said...

aw, that is a good idea!! Not that I wouldn't LIKE chocolate, but I don't really NEED it to drive home with. And noone needs crap like tulle flowers. My mom has one from my cousin's wedding in like 1995 in her china closet. Its covered in dust. Ugh!