Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Rugby Reporter: Day 4

It is so nice to have an entire day to relax and get some school work done after my day of traveling and working. Also, my bag arrived last night, so I got to sleep in my pajamas and am sitting in my own socks having brushed my hair. Always a plus. (Though I was kind of looking forward to going to the Edmonton Mall to buy stuff since the mall is 48 blocks huge)

Today I drove to the hotel to hang out with my friends on the US team. I am writing 2 articles about Claudia and another about the team's recovery practices. They are doing acupuncture and pool treatments and other fascinating stuff. It was really interesting to hang around and see their "camp." Basically, the Eagles have staked out a conference room and spend the majority of their time in there. I got to sit in on the lunch buffet while I interviewed Claudia.

I feel like I could get very used to the power of being a writer. Here I have people working their asses off to be the best in the world at the thing they love. Then, I come into the picture to advertise it, to tell the world about what they are doing. Everyone has been so excited to share with me and I have been fascinated to look into their world here in Edmonton.

I arranged to meet with the team doctor tomorrow and to maybe watch a practice session. I say maybe because it's turned rainy and terribly cold here. I don't know how excited I am to brave the elements when I don't have to.

Not much exciting is going to happen for me until Saturday's match day, which will be another day of running like a crazy person. Although for Saturday I get a fine green Adidas IRB polo. Now I have the experience of having done such work before. Hopefully I will improve for that day.

1 comment:

Jane said...

It is such fun to read your articles and the "behind the articles" in your blog. You are earning your pay this week, girl. What good fortune to be in a place like Edmonton, too, where you have never been before. It's full of great opportunities. Don't you need to buy a warm coat or something?