Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Rugby Reporter: Day 3

I'm here and I am in clean underwear, though my toes are cold and my bag is still missing. I am not really worried, though, since I got several phatty new IRB Adidas polos. They are seriously high class. I also have a fine new Adidas backpack for hauling around match reports, score sheets, and statistics.

I had no idea what I was getting into today. Turning around match reports one half hour after a match is brutal! I don't know how journalists do this every day. I spent every instant of my day so far running around like a crazy person, writing down names and trying to understand South African people well enough to quote them accurately. I feel so honored to have spoken to the captains and coaches and standout players from all these teams. I felt such power in the media box as I said "Get me the winger after the match" or "I need to talk to whomever scored that drop goal."

It was also absolutely phenomenal to watch the United States win against Australia today. I felt so energized cheering for my country, even if it is uncouth for the media to cheer loudly. I was stationed right by Australia's bench, and they were very unhappy with several hundred calls from the referee, so I felt obligated to provide some support for the Americans.

I'm getting kicked out of the media center now that it's 8 at night. Check out my match reports.

Samoa vs South Africa:
Scotland vs Ireland
USA vs Australia

3 comments:

PeaceLoveMath said...

dude, you are so cool.

*the first link was usa-australia, and the second link was samoa-south africa. no scotland or ireland.

but you are cool regardless. it is so neat to see my relative's name in print!

Anonymous said...

Yay Katy Rank!

kk said...

I am so very proud to be your other mother. Seeing your name on those articles gived me chills. You are the WO MAN.