Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Retina Burners

They dilated my pupils. I thought eye doctors stopped doing that! Why did they do this to me?? I had to wear the orthopedic old lady sunglasses that come rolled in a carton to drive home. I'm actually still wearing them now as I sit in my dark living room with the blinds drawn. I'm turned away from the kitchen where the morning sun is pouring in, threatening to blind me through my enormous pupils. I'm actually dizzy and having some balance troubles, but I could be projecting this because I am so grouchy about my eyeballs. Here is what they look like right now:


(Note that they are that large AFTER the flash has gone off on the webcam!)

These large pupils are forcing a break from work into what was scheduled to be a hectic and productive day. I wanted to use these few hours to prepare the damn save the date letter I need to send about the wedding. It's good I can't see well enough to do so because I don't actually know the address of the farm where the wedding is. I need to get on top of that. As my Knot checklist tells me every day in flashing exclamation points (that look even scarier when your pupils are enormous) we have just over 200 days to go. 200 days to claw my way through the mounting pile of tasks involved in planning a wedding 350 miles from where I live. It might as well be across the world for how easy it is to get there for appointments. I'm whining now. This no longer has anything to do with my dilated pupils.

The one saving grace of the pupil experience is that as Dr. Steinberg walked me to the sunlight-filled waiting room, he said "Judy, take care of Katy. She's dilating right now."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to know a girl who called the neon lights in her dorm "Retina Burners", wonder what happened to her...

Wedding planning is as fun or as stressful as you make it. It will be great.

kk said...

now you know how it will sound when you are about to give birth....."Katy you are dilating now"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ninny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ninny said...

i think that's one of the scariest pictures of you that i've ever seen...

Emily said...

I had my eyes dilated a couple of times when I got Lasik. How miserable.

Anonymous said...

Those eyes remind me of thick crust pizzas

Katy said...

heck no pizza eyes! thick crust pizza would have a thick iris. do you see my left eye on there? there is no crust at all. gross.