Monday, August 13, 2007

Mixed Emotions

I had to go to the lady doctor today because I'm out of birth control pills. I had been dreading this visit since January, when I was informed the University would no longer subsidize the cost of the pills. As my health insurance doesn't cover them, I had been very thankful to get contraceptives for $10 a month at the student health clinic.

Apparently, my favorite Republicans decided universities should no longer be allowed to subsidize contraceptives for students. This includes free condoms, discounted pills, the ring, all of it. I feel this is terribly irresponsible. Morally apprehensible. I'm a graduate student looking to not have a baby and I just don't have $46 a month to spare for these sorts of things.

I've been unable to find news articles, none of the doctors could tell me which representatives to call and voice my opinion as a voter, and my supply of the cheap pills has dwindled. Today, when I slumped up to the cash register at the pharmacy, I braced myself, clenched my muscles.

"Ten dollars, please," said the clerk.

"What?!!!" I screamed, actually raised my voice. It turns out my health insurance started covering my pills somewhere in the middle of the night. Since I buy generic, I can get three months' worth for ten bucks. This is fantastic!

I just have to remember to not let my temporary joy override what I view as a much deeper problem. We cannot return to the days where diaphragms were illegal. I almost feel like Corey and I should take the difference in money we saved and donate it to Planned Parenthood. Certainly this is something I will do when we have a steady income.

This is one of the reasons it kills me that my sister (and other young people) thinks politics do not affect her. Do you want to not make babies and simultaneously afford your tuition? Vote! Go vote!

I will now dedicate the rest of my evening to discovering more information about this bill and how I can vote against it.

4 comments:

Valtastic said...

If you know anyone that needs two packs I have them.. I can't throw them out because I know there's so many that need it that can't afford it and I can't use it becuase my body doesn't like it.. help me help your cause.. :P

freya said...

Ohhhh, yeah. We'll be happy to pay for your ultrasounds for the next 9 months, not to mention a hospital stay (all adding up to thousands upon thousands of dollars), but PREVENTING that? That's just not right. Not the natural order of things, you know? Your choice is a bad one! Have babies!
Same thing with quitting smoking. I'm doubly screwed.

jerks.

JP said...

You may want to replace "apprehensible" with "reprehensible". Sorry, I can't help myself. If apprehensible just weren't a word, I'd let it slide, but it means, essentially, "capable of being understood or apprehended", which is more or less the opposite of what you seemed to intend.

Again, sorry. You can flick my earlobe in retaliation the next time you see me.

Emily said...

On the upside, this stuff is legal in all state due to Supreme Court decisions a few decades ago, so it'll be hard to ban.

But I do agree with your anger. Glad your insurance came around.

Also, no more free condoms? Seriously? I wonder if that applies only to state schools...