Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Favorites

I know teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, but I can't help it. There is a little guy in my class (I shall call him Robert) who I want to kidnap and keep and raise on my own. He is just so darn smart! I love every thing about him.

Today, we rewrote fairy tales from a new perspective and Robert retold Rumplstiltskin from Rumple's perspective. He wrote the following sentence: My great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather, Rumplestiltskin V, saved the magical economy when the Fairyland bank burned down.

Later, during free write, he composed a story about Anabel Rodriguez, who was working to supplement her family's income at a Taco Bell in Jaurez, Mexico. How does he know details about Juarez, Mexico? Who told him the economy exists? I didn't know there was an economy when I was 11.

During snack, he drinks juice boxes two at a time, putting both straws in his mouth. He had four of them today.

Yesterday, I took the kids to the carosel to write and we finagled free rides for everyone. He hopped aboard a dolphin and not only buckled the safety belt, but tightened the straps to secure him onto the ride. He is unapologetically dorky, and I love every ounce of his brilliant self.

Plus, Robert wears dorky man shirts and man sandals with dorky messy hair. I'm afraid I won't ever produce a child as wonderful as him and I'll have to live forever knowing I could have easily stolen the world's best kid.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Robert will need lots of support to avoid the usual pitfalls of gifted kids who struggle with how to fit in. Maybe his struggles can't be avoided, but classes like yours help him validate who he is. He sounds great. Isn't it always the ones whose parents would never give them up who we teachers want to take home?

Valtastic said...

Good thing Corey finally manned up and married you otherwise he'd be in a race with Robert( if Robert was older that is)... I think you have a boy crush! Were the two juice boxes different flavors or the same? If they were the same then that's weird. If they were different then he's cool...

Emily said...

The description of Robert sounds similar to how I picture the Katy-Corey spawn ;)

also, I hear you sent out a new addy??

freya said...

I, too, would like a Robert. Although, I think I may have married the grown-up version of him.
4 juice boxes is a LOT of sugar. That's pretty crazy.

Anonymous said...

What a fun kid...I'm sure it can be easy to be jaded or cynical with some of the issues teachers face, but he really sounds like a fun, smart, precocious kid.