Monday, December 03, 2007

Chicago: A Visit

Our cab driver from the airport started our trip right by saying, in heavily accented English, "You like party? Music?" He blared this incredible Indian techno music as he gave a guided tour of the city. He even raised the roof a few times. We then went to a bar where there was no smoking. None! I didn't have to burn my coat or anything when I got home. I just got to enjoy teammates who I haven't seen in almost four years!

In the morning, we ate at a diner that served a basket of fresh bread. As if it were a swank restaurant. They also put a banana on the side of your plate. To save for later I suppose. I certainly liked it! Bananas in pocket, we went to the field museum and I looked at maps all day! Maps! They even had J.R.R. Tolkein's original sketches of Middle Earth. He was so meticulous. He calculated miles walked based on hobbit leg length and had sunset charts and stuff to make sure his writing sounded viable. I also enjoyed the cross-stitched maps of England and felt very lucky that young ladies like myself are no longer required to pass sewing tests to be considered appropriate women.

Because it was miserable and raining and there was lots of upset football to watch, we just stayed in Saturday night and alternated football and Guitar Hero as we ate Indian food in honor of our cabbie. Did you know you can have beer delivered to your house in Chicago? Late at night? It was like a miracle. I almost died.

Sunday morning, my new cabbie's credit card machine ended up being broken when we got to the airport. I felt badly that I only had enough cash to give him about half of the fare. I called the hotline to give him a customer complement in hopes that it would make up for it...at least my flight out was on time.

All in all, I returned an energized, positive human being. Something about Lust beating me at Wii boxing and Jenny spanking me at Guitar Hero returned my sense of place in the world. I just love those ladies! Old rugby teammates are my crack. I am addicted and I just feel so good after I spend time with them.

No comments: