Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pittsburgh Birthdays

I love my birthday in this city. The weather is amazing, the air is warm, and the trees are all green and pink. Each year we've lived here so far (two now!) we've gone to a baseball game Friday night, played/watched some splendid rugby on Saturday, and then had a grand social with the Angels.

So far, this is my best weekend ever. Last night, our seats were in College Cove, right along the third baseline. We had free t-shirts and umbrellas, coupons for free hot dogs and pretzels and beer, and the most amazing view of the river glowing pink and orange in the setting sun. We watched dragon boaters paddle past, the Braves hit several home runs out of the park and nearly into the waiting booze cruises below. It was incredible. Pittsburgh is really the most beautiful city I've ever lived in. Once it was dark, the stadium and bridges are lit with blue accents and the lights from the incline make Mt. Washington sparkle...it's so sappily perfect here in May.

Perhaps my favorite part was that I drove over the 16th street bridge and parked along the bike trail, then rode my bike to the stadium and met Corey en route from his two-wheeled commute. After the game, when he had our umbrellas in his messenger bag, we pretended he was delivering architect sketches and drove home with zero traffic.

Now, let's cross our fingers that I come out of my game unscathed and don't break anything out on the town this evening.

2 comments:

Laura V said...

katyrank, I am at home icing down my knee, which has swelled up like a softball.

i did that tackling you, by the way!

i am gonna try & make it out tonight but if i do not, have a great b-day and ALSO a great bachelorette PARTAY.

--laura

Emily said...

happy b-day ;)

(i need a calendar!)