Sunday, August 20, 2006

Why?

Planning a wedding is taking everything I enjoy in life and twisting it into a stressful and upsetting practice full of slamming doors and elastic pants.

Take eating for example. It might be my most favorite of all things in life. This weekend, we ate two enormous meals prepared by two excellent caterers....on Saturday. After two hours of manging through appetizers and thinly sliced meats and fabulous pastas cooked to protection, we had to eat another version of the same thing. Though the thyme and cheese stuffed chicken and wild mushroom pastas smelled and looked amazing, though the scallops seemed succulent, though the cake was delightfully sweet seeming, I could do nothing but pat my bloated belly and pray for poop. I had to wait until this morning to fully enjoy the crab cakes. They just didn't fit inside.

Talking is probably my second favorite thing. I'll talk about anything at length with anyone. But our new rabbi is also a talker and courtesy dictates that I let her go first in conversations. As Corey and I sat examining the sample ceremony, tearing up over possible readings at our WEDDING, I found myself with a million things to say and no opportunity to do so. Why did I have to find another talker? Doesn't everyone know that Corey is my soul mate because he listens when I talk? If only there were another rabbi in the world who will do an interfaith ceremony for an affordable price, I would seek out a less yacky alternative.

Trips home to visit my family have morphed from relaxing evenings on porches listening to cicadas into bug-eyed romps through contracts, confusing discussions, and extended conversations weighing the merits of buffets versus live-action food stations.

Perhaps I could register for and win one of those pre-planned weddings from TLC. Or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Or maybe someone could put me in a coma for eight months and wake me up in time to sveltly walk down the aisle in a tastefully designed ceremony with low key decorations and fun dancing. I will never again attend a wedding with the same perspective.

2 comments:

kk said...

if you decided to run far away for this blessed event, i will support you and your soul mate. why not come to the great state of DE and get married on the beach in your bare feet. i will become a minister just for you. we could fish for for our dinner then fry it up on the grill while watching the sun set of the DE bay. best of all the sun, sand and the sound of the ocean always makes life a bit less stressful.

PeaceLoveMath said...

you can do it! i am sure your wedding is going to be amazing and perfect, because i know you wouldn't let it be anything else, you're way too picky.

anyway...

i've read the poisonwood bible two or three times before, i'm just re-reading it so it's fresh in my mind when hannah finishes her first read. and yes, i do cry during one part, about 2/3 of the way thru, which i got to last night. i think you're confusing me with my mom, who didn't cry for TTW - i bawled during the entire last 20 pages or so! TPB doesn't make me cry as hard, tho, because by the time it happens i'm more resigned to it & i think it's got to happen for the book to work, whereas in TTW i knew it was going to happen but really didn't want it to.

TLC in camp hill always had print versions of last sunday's sermon available on the same table as this sunday's bulletins, list of people to pray for, etc...i'm hoping RELC does the same thing.