Sunday, September 18, 2005

Stupid Cold!

I have a horrible cold again. I hate when I get these abominable sinus disasters that fill my entire head with congestion. I can't hear people, I have PND, I can't breathe or sleep! Obviously I decided to play rugby in the rain yesterday, which totally was not fun. I kept gagging on my mouth guard and had tissues in my pocket. I think I snotted on the Cleaveland hooker, though, so that was cool.

Today, Freya and JP and I went to check out the local Unitarian church at Jordan Lev's advice. I haven't made a decision about it. They didn't invoke any god or higher power at all. I didn't really find inspiration from the service. We read some affirmations declaring equal human rights and the spirit of love and peace. That's a pretty cool message to affirm weekly. There was a "babtism" of sorts for an adopted baby girl. In the Unitarian version, the parents and "godparents" vow to raise the child to be diverse and loving and welcoming rather than to raise the child to be spiritual.

But then the sermon was a recap of the church budget. I just don't know. I think Freya and I will go again next week to see if we like it better on the second try. On one hand it's awesome to be in a room of people that share the same political beliefs and overall attitude of equal rights. On the other, some of the readings were very new-agey and I had to sit and listen to a buget recap for a half hour. I should at least rest assured that these people perform interfaith wedding ceremonies as well as civil unions.

No comments: