Thursday, November 29, 2007

Back to the Garden

I had one last interview for my article at the Phipps Conservatory yesterday. This time I remembered to bring my camera. Each time I go to that place, I am reminded that there are indeed good people in the world. After reading The Omnivore's Dilemma I really felt like there was no hope for the world, what with all our industrial corn and nitrogen runoff. Not so! The Phipps folks will change it!
They have their own fuel cell in their rainforest!
They make their own power!


Without revealing too many of the goods from my article, let me assure you these are truly GREEN gardeners. They have all these visions for the future to make their offices and buildings completely off the grid. Each innovation they make for the better sets off a wave of the staff suggesting more green ideas.
The green construction in the welcome center, with sculpture

Like waterless urinals. They have these magical urinals (which I was not privy to examine) that don't flush. The urine sinks down the drain into this tank that has a liquid on top. The liquid is lighter than urine, so the urine sinks and it creates a sanitary seal. Plus, the urine isn't mixing with water, which evidently creates the odor. So it doesn't stink. It all sounds pretty nifty.

They have a new sun in their desert room

And new plants trying to grow toward it...

No matter how many times I enter that space and examine both the innovations for technology and the amazing exhibit, I never get tired of looking at it. Every time I round a bend, I am totally surprised to see:
This IS the boat where, in my dreams,
I sailed afar into the Land of Nod


This is definitely my favorite article of the year.
This is the first thing you see when
you enter the room. Hello!

2 comments:

Valtastic said...

I want to go off the grid when I get a house... this entrepreneur came into one of my classes and talked about how next spring he's going off the grid...

P said...

Privy, hee.