Thursday, November 16, 2006

My Empty Hole

What am I going to do tonight? This weekend? I have no more practice, no more games. The short answer is that I will catch up on my grad school work, but who am I kidding? I've done okay with the added pressure of rugby in my life. Without that metronome, I am going to sit on my sofa and watch dvds. I just checked two seasons of The Office out of the library.

Rugby is done. So now I will watch television and ooze into the cracks between my sofa cushions as my thighs swell in sloth. Because I hurt my thumb in Columbus, I cancelled the first session of winter rowing meant to keep me in shape. Right this second, I could be on campus in the gym doing some working out. Instead, I am wearing my pajamas and writing about golf, trying really hard not to jump up and push play on the dvd.

What do non-rugby people do with their evenings and weekends? Is that why they all hang out with their families so much? Do people shop and go to the dentist and look at houses? Perhaps go on dates? After approximately four days of not playing rugby, I think I'll take my old life back, please. Because right now I have a huge hole in front of me and there are no immediate prospects to fill it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The season has been over for a couple of weeks here, and while I'm busy with grad school, I DO have a lot of time on my hands. I've taken to browsing for clothes I can't afford online, which is bad, because I will eventually whip out the credit card.

I know that when I retire (eventually) from rugby, I'll need to join SOMETHING. I have no idea what people (at least those without small, demanding children) do when they get home from work.

Anonymous said...

I still dont have any extra time now that I'm not playing rugby. Grad school is kicking my arse!
Can't wait until I visit you in Feb and meet the men of your team! :P

~VAL

kk said...

If you need something to do you could jump in the car and drive to Delaware this weekend, I would love to spend the weekend with you. We could go to the beach:+)