Monday, October 02, 2006

Wedding Weekend

I shouldn't be allowed to attend weddings between now and my own shindig. I went to my cousin's wedding this weekend and spent every second thinking either "Well, I'm not doing THAT at mine!" or "Hmm, that's pretty. I should think about that." There were no tears when I saw the bride. No feelings of love or excitedness for the couple. I was devoid of all emotion, simply taking note of all the things on my The Knot checklist and making comparisons.

The only moment of the whole day where I felt a twinge of feeling was during the mother/son dance when my Aunt and cousin danced to James Taylor's You Got A Friend. That was sweet. How could I be so heartless? At Adam's wedding, I cried my way through a box of tissues. Now, 200 days away from my big day, when I should be building up all these feelings and contemplating a unified life, etc, all I can think about is white tulle or ivory?

I'm such a consumer! I'm so selfish! Don't invite me to any joyous occasions for the next few months, because I won't appreciate them properly. This is not to say I won't enjoy the open bar and eat heartily of the appetizers. Just know that every second I am gazing, apparently awestruck, across the dancefloor I am really judging your centerpieces and wondering if my DJ will be more or less cheesy.

7 comments:

kk said...

It's OK to feel like that. And don't worry there will be plenty of emotion at your wedding. I already get tears thinking about it. So what do you notes say of the Saturday event? Cheesy or not cheesy? I bet I can answer that question and i was not even there:+)

Emily said...

Yes! Weddings with DJs!! I am not a fan of the band. My cousin sat me at the "relatives I see often enough to have to seat kind of close to the dance floor but don't care enough about to give a good table" table, directly next to the band. They had a DJ too because they're overdone, but come on. I did not need cover song screeching in my ear for 4 hours. argh. I hate covers!

Anonymous said...

Emily is mean... her cousins wedding was nice.. they all approved of me as her gf until it was clarified that I was straight... they had an awesome dessert table- like 18 feet of dessert... mmmmmmmmm

Hancheck- I better be invited to that wedding- can I wear a grass skirt?

Anonymous said...

I do this and I'm not even getting married anytime soon.

I have to go to the wedding of my boyfriend's old roomate this weekend ... let the fun begin!

Emily said...

the dessert table was pretty sweet. No pun intended.

Katy said...

em--are you having eggs bennedict at your wedding? if yes, i want the vegetarian option.

Anonymous said...

Em- Can you have bud light there too or will I have to bring my own?