Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Wooohoooo Democracy!

I just voted for the first time in an actual voting center. All the other times up till now have been absentee ballots because I either was actually at college (or living in England) or camped out in NJ where my democratic vote didn't matter as much as it did in PA.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I got there because I normally ignore all the flyers I get in the mail explaining the voting procedure. I felt prepared for the men in suits sucking down cigarettes outside yelling in chorus for me to vote straight democrat and straight republican. I was ready for the metal detectors at the door. It's an elementary school, after all. But I was shocked when ten thousand volunteers swarmed around me to help me get to the right place. Where were the lines? I brought a book along expecting the voting place to be similar to the post office at the very least.

I like to think that by arriving at 915 I just missed the crowds because everyone is at work. I want to hope so. I live in a pretty densely populated area. I know there are people here who are 18 or older. Seeing the empty gym really made me want to volunteer in some sort of get out and vote program next year. I have a few hours to help with that, even if I have to miss rugby.

I feel like I should pin my voting receipt to my jacket today like a corsage. "This person helped defeat republicans" it would tell the world. They would all be extremely jealous and rush to the gymnasium. I think I feel depressed that more people weren't in there.

6 comments:

kk said...

Well I did my first voting in the state of DE today. It was very full at my voting place, which I was happy to see. But I think like you we should all wear something to indicate that we just voted and care what our goverment is doing.

freya said...

i <3 voting!

hey, check out my philosophical blog entry about voting!

marshmallowfreya.blogspot.com

and sadly, i voted there last year (the elementary school at negley and stanton, right?) and when i showed up around 5:30p, they told me i was the youngest person that had been there all day. i was 24. how sad is that?? it was even a mayoral election. so kinda important!
i want to vote again tomorrow! we should vote every day! i'd do it.

Anonymous said...

This was the first time I haven't voted. I registered in MA and don't know my precinct and didn't travel for work so I didnt get an absentee ballot.

Anonymous said...

this was actually one of the largest voter turnouts in an off-year election in recent history. and we got the outcome we wanted - go dems! only bad part was that a bunch more states passed same-sex marriage bans, boo. so stupid.
- mer (wouldn't let me post normally)

Anonymous said...

Hi

http://ephedra-moza.blogspot.com/
Bye

Anonymous said...

hello there!
Very like it!
We enjoyed visiting your website very much. Here a lot of helpful information.

I know another good sites:

http://rivotril.butkel1.org/ rivotril

See ya!